NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- New Canaan High School was named the 724th best high school in the country by U.S. News and World Report in its annual ranking Tuesday. It was also named the 17th best in Connecticut.
U.S. News and World Report enlisted the help of social science research firm RTI International to compile its rankings. They measured schools using four key metrics:
- Math and reading proficiency for all students
- Testing proficiency for disadvantaged students
- Graduation rates
- College readiness via Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate test data.
New Canaan boasts a 13:1 student-to-teacher ratio and has 52 percent of the student body participating in AP exams.
There were 14 other high schools in Fairfield County named to the Connecticut list:
- Weston High School
- Ridgefield High School
- Wilton High School
- Greenwich High School
- Darien High School
- Staples High School (Westport)
- Joel Barlow High School (Redding)
- Fairfield Ludlowe High School
- Fairfield Warde High School
- Brookfield High School
- The Academy of Information Technology (Stamford)
- Masuk High School (Monroe)
- Westhill High School (Stamford)
- Brien McMahon High School (Norwalk)
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.