NEW CANAAN, Conn. - The following New Canaan residents were awarded bachelor of arts degrees from Connecticut College at the 96th commencement ceremony on May 18 in New London.
• Kevin Burt graduated with a major in economics.
• William Einstein graduated with a major in economics.
• Philip Pacelli IV graduated summa cum laude with a major in music and economics.
Commencement keynote speaker Noah Feldman told the 461 members of the Class of 2014 that while today's moment of celebration was wonderful, the real gift they had been given was four years of preparation for the rest of their lives.
"The whole point of the liberal arts education - that fragile, extraordinary, valuable thing which is being put in your hands and has been put in your hands - is to teach you to participate as full partners in the making of the world around you," said Feldman, the Bemis Professor of International Law at Harvard Law School. "And that by definition can only happen through your taking up the stuff and the substance of your future lives and shaping it and making it your own."
Prior to his speech, Feldman was awarded an honorary doctor of humane letters by Connecticut College President Katherine Bergeron.
Bergeron, who joined Connecticut College Jan. 1 and was inaugurated April 5, told the Class of 2014 they are part of a proud lineage of graduates who have done exactly what Feldman urged them to do: Used what they learned at Connecticut College to positively change the world.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 July 4 Terror Threat 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 4 New Canaan Could See New Round Of Thunderstorms
- 5 Heavy Rain Headed To New Canaan, Thunderstorms Possible